This page is devoted to my Earthbound But Aspiring project: I'm currently reading each work of John Steinbeck and you're invited to join in. Below is a summary of related blog posts and the order in which I'll be reading what's left.
Cup of Gold, 1929 (December 2010)
- My simple review of Cup of Gold, an ambitious pseudo-biography of real-life pirate, Henry Morgan.
To a God Unknown, 1933 (January 2011)
- To a God Unknown: Steinbeck's second novel is about a California rancher who comes to believe that the spirit of his father inhabits an ancient tree. This book has some of the best descriptions of what is now known as Steinbeck Country (and it's a great story).
- "The Unlikely Juxtaposition of Joseph Wayne and Octaman; or, How Not Film Your Next Monster Movie": In which I compare protagonist Joseph Wayne to a sad creature called Octaman.
Tortilla Flat, 1935 (February 2011)
- Tortilla Flat was my first re-read for this project and I can't wait for the next time I read it again.
In Dubious Battle, 1936 (March 2011)
- In Dubious Battle is known as one of the greatest strike novels of all time. It's not destined to be my favorite book but it's a worthy read if you're into economics and politics.
- OK, this post has little to do with In Dubious Battle other than my mentioning a scene from said book.
The Red Pony, 1937 (April 2011)
- A compilation of four short stories, The Red Pony might have actually very little to do with a red pony.
Of Mice and Men, 1937 (May 2011)
- How Of Mice and Men made my "heart soar" (and sore).
The Grapes of Wrath, 1939 (June & July 2011)
- Steinbeck had me in mind when he wrote this line in The Grapes of Wrath.
- In which I juxtapose my profession with The Grapes of Wrath.
East of Eden, 1952
The Moon Is Down, 1942
Bombs Away: The Story of a Bomber Team, 1942
Cannery Row, 1945
The Pearl, 1947
The Wayward Bus, 1947
A Russian Journal, 1948
Burning Bright, 1950
The Log from the Sea of Cortez, 1951
Sweet Thursday, 1954
The Short Reign of Pippin IV, 1957
Once There Was A War, 1958
The Winter of Our Discontent, 1961
Travels with Charley: In Search of America, 1962
America and Americans, 1966
Journal of a Novel, 1968
The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights, 1976